I’ve been around online dating for quite some time now. I’ve met enough women to have a sense for what to expect from them before meeting offline. My intuition is usually spot on. I can’t always know we’ll be a good match, but I do have certain things I look for in a woman online. By sticking to these standards, the chances of her and I ending up together are high.
Viewing Her Profile: Signs I Should Contact Her
A profile says a lot about a woman, but it’s not enough to know if she’s girlfriend material. All a profile is good for is to give me an idea of whether or not she’s a decent woman. However, people lie in their profiles quite a bit. I won’t know if she’s being honest about herself until I talk to her. Here are the main things I look for in a woman from her profile…
- Positive tone – If her profile is laced with negative comments, it’s a total turnoff. Why would I want to get to know some whiny, bitchy woman? I like women that are positive.
- Misspelled words and improper grammar – Yeah, I’m a bit of a Grammar/Spelling Nazi. But, to me, having a profile filled with misspelled words and bad grammar shows a lack of intelligence.
- Sense of humor – This one isn’t a deal breaker. If her profile doesn’t make me laugh, I’ll still contact her if it has the other qualities I look for. However, I do like a woman with a good sense of humor.
- Common interests – Obviously, it’s hard to maintain a relationship with a woman you have nothing in common with. We don’t have to share the exact same interests, but it’s important that we have a couple interests in common.
- Doesn’t appear to be stuck-up– If I read quotes such as “I only date guys taller than 6-feet”, I won’t even bother. Women that absolutely must date the most perfect physical specimen are not my type – and I’m not theirs.
IM and Text Messaging: When I Know I Must Ask Her Out
As you will find, there are women you contact that you wish you hadn’t. Women often lie in their profiles. Or, they leave something important out. For example, I once contacted this girl because she seemed very interesting and mature from her profile. I chatted with her for a while and then she brought up her opiate addiction and subsequent Methadone Clinic visits. Had to get rid of her fast! Much like dating profiles, I never know for sure if a woman I’m texting/IM’ing is “the one”, but here are the signs I look for when chatting with her…
- Appears interested in me – I’m not going to waste my time with a woman that clearly isn’t into me. If every comment she makes is 1-2 words in length, I know she’s not digging me.
- Asks me questions – This goes back to her appearing interested in me. If a woman is asking you questions, she’s interested in you. She wants to get to know you better.
- Is an enjoyable conversation – If the conversation with her is boring over IM/text, I can’t see a relationship ever working. You have to enjoy talking to each other in order to maintain a strong relationship.
- Gives me her digits– I like it when a woman offers to give me her digits. It’s not a deal breaker if she doesn’t. But it lets me know that – when chatting via IM – she’s definitely at least somewhat interested.